Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Other Sides

Well for most of us life seems so obvious that we have become too monotonous and we start thinking that "Vanity of vanity, all is vanity there is nothing new under the Sun" but this winter I experienced some very common things and thoughts but when I pondered over them I thought I better share them. These are small incidents or rather small experiences which give me perspective of different kind of people and somewhat changed my thinking.

Well let me start with my experience with last semester as an ordinary student I had always dreamt to be a topper. I tried a lot from my childhood, most of the time I just wanted to go through all the chapters, without much understanding everything. I never succeeded to be at the top. In IISER too I suffered inferiority complex and had the zeal but the will was missing. But here as the Professors gave me confidence and with well planning and intelligence I slowly gained confidence. Now I realized that I should clear all my doubts, think more rationally, be positive and be sincere. Slowly I rose to the occasion. I had realized I have to read to understand and not for marks. This reflected in my CGPA. Good students do not study to get marks but they like to read and love to think about what they learn and that's the beauty of it. They do not have pressure but rather Love to share what they learn. Now I do not want to be at the top, I just want to learn and relish what I am learning.

While my father was going to poling station at 4 a.m. ,one police constable asked ". Itni thandi bhor main Chai nahin chalega, Sir."(Will you not order some tea in this cold morning.) When my father ordered tea for them other said "Sir, khali pet sirf chai sahi nahin sir, ektho biscuit bhi to dila dijiye." (Tea is not good for empty stomach; please tell them to serve some snacks too.) On the first week of the vacation I was at home and the Election Commission of India(ECI) had made my father sector officer for the ongoing elections. I came to know about the real people who were behind the elections. They were school teachers, clerks. Their conditions were pityful. Their cheeks were shallow and had shawls and blankets as they had been passed through generations. It seems they hardly get any penny for living. Prior to elections they have to go to ECI offices for training. Before 1 month their preparations would start. Still I wondered how they would be able to conduct biggest dance of democracy. Before 1 day of the election they had to remain in clusters and had to wake up early morning and work tediously up to night. They are even not provided with proper food and water. Police who was provided the same, seemed so novice, lousy. I was wondering how they were going to save my father with some fifty years old, blunt rifle with the terrorist having modern Chinese made Semi automatic and automatic devices. They were moving in vehicles as we see in fevicol advertisement. It was a pitiful site. ECI shows they are spending crores in every election but probably we all know where the money is going.
Seeing the backbenches empty, my fellow said "Akhir Gene to IISER hin ka hai"("Gene belonged to IISERian"). I will come back to this comment. I went to New Delhi to attend a workshop on Nanotechnology (IJWBME2009). Why I am bothering to write about another seminar ? We bunk them at our Institute. Why is this under this title? I am still the listener. Was I delivering any presentation? No, dear I was only participating. This subject was close to my heart. I am interested in Nanochemistry. These series of seminar gave me a glimpse of what recent works are going on sensing and electronics world with Nanotechnology. Japanese delegates told how their country and industry was helping in financing their research. Can you imagine Japanese Govt. and Industry spends about 0.5 million dollar on each research scholar? Most of the public was absent in most of the seminar as usual. and overcrowding during high Tea and Lunch. Most of the participants who had just come to participate (sitting idly in the back benches, chatting) in workshop were from IISER Pune and IISER Kolkata. In starting you will find all these benches filled up but suddenly they were empty. Justifying the nature IISERians...

In the cold winter early morning, we few IISERians and few Japanese delegates were standing infront of fire created by burning branches by the gatekeepers. The girl asked the Japanese "Who are you?" The Japanese was amused. He smiled and took out his Identity Card and showed to girl and wittingly told the girl "Well, I do not think you have attended the workshop. I am the co-chairman for this workshop." Adding to discussion he asked her when she woke up. "4:30 am, Sir.""Well, its quite surprising as Indians are not punctual."He was right at that moment as the bus which was suppose to leave at 5 am for Agra had bot arrived till 7 am. While on the Journey the Japanese delegates were amused to see mud houses, the garbage. They sprang to their feet when they saw snake charmer playing snakes. We reached Agra at 1 pm. We were quite hungry, though the bus driver had stopped the bus a luxurious hotel for breakfast for large commission. Delegates had costly servings. Meanwhile we were supurised to see simple metallic chess board costing Rs. 39000 only. This time felt I we Indians were taking our revenge from foreigners for they had looted during British Raj.
We had quick snacks, headed to see the Grandeur Taj. It was crowdy Sunday. I would say as I viewed Taj mahal, obiviously I had no words to describe the magnificent white marble scaffold being the epitome for Love for centuries. Taj Mahal was the dream every lover had for signifying that his love was no less than the Great Mogul Shah Jahan. We often find portrait of Prime Minister and President of such and such coutry sitting infront of Taj Mahal in front page of newspapers. I had also dreamt the same. This time I got the chance. But as novice I forgot to put the charm in my face thats why my photo does in papers. I bowed for hard work and the effort had been done to make the magnificent beauty in 22 years. I felt little uncomfortable. While my friends were busy in striking poses, I felt uncomfortable. Was I missing someone? I was getting emotional. While on return journey I had headache.
"Yaar, how do you have lost your mobile twice in 6 months.How careless you are?" I had asked one of my friend. Due to my carelessness I lost my mobile while boarding a crowded bus. Earlier I had always felt pity that how can one loose his mobile. Then again I was on other side again feeling the pain as if I had lost my Identity. Now I have got my number using duplicate sim card in new mobile.
Remaining days I enjoyed with my sister who was always complaining that I never had time to come to meet her in Gurgaon. Someone told me "You should pray that in next life you have a plot in
Gurgaon."Gurgaon as the name suggest is really a village where there are people apart from leaving in their lousy apartment live. They are really poor. Reports tell about Gurgaon as new planned metropolitan. It has large malls well planned apartments. But everybody in Gurgaon is not rich and famous. Those who work in other homes for their living and the labourers engaged in building skyscraper are really poor and their conditions are pathetic. Unless their conditions were not getting better Gurgaon would remain Gurganwa.
I went to some tourist places in Delhi with my sis. She took some wonderful pictures.




4 comments:

ritesh said...

hmmm....seems you learnt and experienced a lot during this short vacation. Your first experience seems to be inspired by Rancho.
and during the foto session, Where did the charm go? Also tell that someone that You pray to have a plot in Switzerland or Mauritius in the next life and not a plot in Gurgaon.

rnoytt said...

yes, now I agree he thinks the same.. but past semester in my room with my roommates we had discussion on this topic. I can say we share this mantra. No need create controversy. Chetan Bhagat and Vidhu have created enough to sell the movie.
you can tell I was not prepared. I was missing my other friend and the family. I wanted to capture the immense beauty in my heart but in small time and crowdy situation I were not getting time and patience. Pretext to that earlier when we get out someone poked me(remember Bajaj).

You never know I may earn well enough to buy in this lifetime anywhere I want.

Voice said...

I have seen people who topped just by mugging things and they will forget everything after 2 days of exams.

The mantra is to do whatever u do with whole heart [i guess]

But it is always better to study for fun.

it was a long post..

...Abhiket+thoughts... said...

Jahanpanah tussi great ho!! but i m not going to offer my butt :). The movie has left a lasting effect on you and your activity.
Its nice that you are shaping your self by the experience you are getting through common life incidents - this is what is called "Maturity"

Hey by the way some of the comments are not called for. Anyway nice blog depicting and inferring that you have enjoyed your vacation.