Monday, September 15, 2008

But I have to read!!

" You have a Organic Chemistry test on Tuesday, it will be one hour long." Words echoed for last few days. Weekend passed doing assignments of quantum chemistry and watching Dark Knight in Forum and watching few episodes season one of "How I met your Mother". On Sunday Night I slept early at 11:00 p.m. after finishing quantum homework anyhow. Before sleeping I promised myself that I will read it in morning.
Today I woke up at 8:15 am. Seems that I was a bit tired playing table tennis a lot last day. Now it was the time had to be prepared to go college. As usually some promises are made to be broken, I had no time to read Organics. I packed my Organics notebook though I had no class for this subject thinking I might read it in college. Thanks to Bradraj, he told me wrong method to do a problem in assignment and in all free time I had to redo the problem.
My Classes were over at 3:15 P.M. I thought I had enough time to read. I was so engaged in thinking in which order I would read that when Abhiket asked me if I had Rs. 200, Busy in my thoughts I gave him Rs. 2. As I entered Hostel Campus suddenly I forgot I had to read, My focus shifted to my Semester Project. A week ago I had two ideas, and was relaxed and I had ran out of time to submit a project proposal. But now as for one idea's prerequisites will take one semester to arrive. For continuing my summer project (second idea) I had to go to Haringhata, other campus, which I was not willing to go. I went to meet Prof. Mandal to tell him I had no will to go Haringhata in this busy semester to continue my projects on weekends to continue my project. Sir agreed and told I should look for another one. Getting some boost I started searching "science direct" and " pubs.acs" for 1 hour. My keywords for the search were " cell diffusion nanoparticle". i was looking for some papers that would tell me about recent studies made in field on cell biology about interaction of nanoparticles with cell membrane. I got papers over 30,000 but almost all papers required TEM, AFM etc p.s. high class instruments to study.
I was disappointed but it had consumed more 2 hours. I returned to my room, at this point of time I was tired, so for refreshment I thought to watch an episode of "How I met your Mother". It was 6:30 pm and was the time go out and buy milk. It was Ritesh's turn to buy milk. I called him but he was busy doing western blot in biology lab. I made up my mind to go and buy milk keeping in mind my Mom's words -" You should drink milk daily.". As I was half way down the road it started raining, It was the time to return. But I was not going to drink milk, which I should do. Here you cannot survive for long on mess food, you need supplement.I moved forward rather going backward. It started pouring heavily but I was amand on my decision. As I was very near to market, I realized it was monday and EC market remains close on Monday. Being frustated I moved back. It was too late as when I reached my room I was soaked. I was lamenting that I had not read, not had the milk and now soaked.

Now I took my umbrella and went out again in search of milk. I reached a milkman who daily sold milk in front of Labony main gate. I gave him Rs. 11 and told him to give milk packet He asked me which milk packet do you want ? 1. Rs 10. 50 for Mother Dairy or Rs. 11:50 for Amul Taaza. I told him MRP was 11for Amul Taaza and you were asking Rs. 11:50, why? He replied that yes, its true but I sell for 11:50. "Jaago Grahak Jaago" echoed. I took my money and went away. While returning I went to another shop, he was also asking more money. It was quite emotional for me that for milk I am wasting so much time and labor in rain, why should I pay more, even it was 50 paise. I called Ritesh again and told my story. He told he might try to bring milk, might be laughing. I felt little assured and returned. I was angry and forgot to study and again started watching the series. I was glued to my monitor for 1 and half hours until I finished the whole season.
Now it was time to go for supper. Ritesh told me that he had failed to bring milk packet.i knew it. After supper I watched one episode of second season and from then onwards I am writing this blog completely ignoring the fact that I had to study for the test. I knew that tomorrow the test was in the afternoon and still I would not able to study tonight as after writing the blog I was to sleep perhaps and early in mornong I had to go to lab as I had promised Shuvankar da to start a new reaction.
Usually I had completely failed to study for the tests. There was always some reason . Fact was that I had not study yet I was ready to face the test without studying . So here I was blaming myself again.

8 comments:

rnoytt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nishant said...

Great Blog post. It very practically shows the busy life of a true aspiring scientist or for that matter of any human being. How even small things like buying milk can create mess. The Rs. 200/ Rs. 2 incident was definitely funny and maintained the spark throughout. The way of telling even such a simple incident with such a fine flowing story telling format, reminded me of Chetan Bhagat. You know as well as I do, that you have great potential as a student and now you have shown your caliber in tale telling skills. Way to go dude.

...Abhiket+thoughts... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
...Abhiket+thoughts... said...

dude!!! to tell you frankly you seems to be more busy,than you really are(hey Nishant...if you are truly his friend then don't encourage him on every account you need to tell him the truth.....(Gosh !!!My suspicion is going still higher.....grrrrrr)).

Nevertheless life is busy at IISER you don't have the time to breath...it was as if we have just returned from the vacation ,and lo!!! there comes the mid-sems....crap.
And Priyadarshi I have always told you "to save one penny you have lost many",remember that bus incident to save Rs 1 we were drenched in the rain on our way to ABCOS, and today ,to save 50 paise you didn't purchased the milk,you do these stuffs regularly........... It seems that you didn't even bother to listen to me.......
Finally, we have been promising ourselves from the first semester that we would read....but it never has happened. So no need to blame you self life continues as it always have been.....
O my God!! tomorrow is the organic chemistry test,we have to submit the assignment too..." I HAVE TO READ"
(I know i won't.........as promise are meant to be broken....)

ritesh said...

very interesting, it was fun going through the blog. This blog gives a classic example which explains our situation(that we are willing to read but can't, for reasons that we could never find out) in a very funny way. the theme was simple. It was like the author was writing a diary at the end of the day. but it was beautifully presented(leaving aside the errors, that the author will correct soon). Most of the things i knew as i was myself involved in it, but many things were a pleasant surprise to me(like you searching for papers for 2 hrs, and your high funda project title).
The most interesting part was the milk buying part. This is 'Priyadarshi' for you. I'm not at all surprised.
But surely, when we'll pass out from here, and read this blog sometime, it'll remind us of our dynamic and amazing life.
nice post. very different from the blogs that i generally see. refreshing in short. keep penning more.
and yes,Gud luck for organic test. :)

Salman said...

Its nice that now you accept your mistakes.....its great for a person to realize where he erred...and i hope u did that...Sir its all ab8 priorities...set them right and thats it...

rnoytt said...

Its not about the priorities. Its about goals you set at any moment.
Its not about saving penny. at that moment I was pushing hard to make my point that You should never pay above MRP.
And yes, today my test went fine.
And Ritesh I think you can now understand Re-search. ha ha ha

Arghya said...

Hmm dada it is really a great way of narrating the ordeals of a student which he has to face daily.The tension of exams, the constant prickling of assignments (which often is the testing of one's skill for doing integration and differentiation to the limits),the more often then not situation of facing an exam unprepared,the tug-of-war between projects and regular classes has been nicely potrayed.But the thing which I liked the most was the realistic manner in which these hitches in a student's life has been presented.Maybe 50 paise is not so big a deal but it does go on to show the conflict which constantly goes on in a student's mind (especially about money even if that gets wasted in other ways :D).
Anyways nice work Dada.Keep it up.Hope to see more of such works in the near future.